Monday, June 23, 2014

Julie Taymor

Today I'm going to tell you about a female stage and film director: Julie Taymor.



I knew about her work 2 years ago, when in the Design Workshop we were talking about classic drama nowadays. Taymor, an american artist, filmmaker and theater director, is famous for her work on Shakespeare's plays and films bassed on them, also for her work directing Broadway musical The Lion King, and films like Frida and Across the Universe.


 


Julie Taymor's work is very important as a referent on stage design specially for the use in her plays she of mask and puppetry on the stage as costume, changing the way we see the actor's body and this, at the same time, change the stage space. The use of this elements was an oriental influences because of her studies in oriental countries, specially in Japan, where she directed the Stravinsky's opera Oedipus Rex.

I really like her work because throughout the course of her career she had created an aesthetic and her plays and movies have an author's concept very recognized.

1 comment:

  1. Is the first time that I read something about Julie Taymor´s, I don´t know her.But I think that her films could like me, I would watch they. I like that she use oriental elements, I think that this is an interesting point. Until today I just watched "Frida" and I love it,

    ReplyDelete